Monday, August 14, 2006

Homeless to Harvard


Today, I just stayed at home. After having lunch with my family, I sat back infront of television... switched on Hallmark channel. I pressed 'info' button and read that the movie "Homeless to Harvard" would be played at 3.00 o'clock.

I watched this movie from the beginning until the end. Actually, I was inspired by this true story, ..the journey of Liz Murray life, from homeless to Harvard University.

Summary of the story :


The daughter of cocaine-addicted parents, Liz Murray's life as a child was bitterly grim. There was never food in the house, everything was filthy, drugs were everywhere and the welfare checks were spent before they arrived. By age 15, Murray's mom had died of AIDS and Liz was homeless -- living on the streets, riding the subway all night, and eating from dumpsters. Amidst this pain, Murray always imagined her life could be much better than it was. “I started to grasp the value of the lessons learned while living on the streets. I knew, after overcoming those daily obstacles, that next to nothing could hold me down.”

Determined to take charge of her life, Murray finished high school in just two years while camping out in New York City parks and subway stations. She went on to earn a scholarship from the New York Times and entered Harvard University in 2000. In order to be closer to her ill father, Liz has since chosen to attend Columbia University, where she is currently studying.


liz murray

Liz Murray’s story is about achieving goals despite the odds. It is a heartening story of determination, persistence, and the will to succeed. It is a story with a tragic beginning and a happy ending. For all of us who are determined to make a difference in the lives of families in need, it is deeply moving and truly inspiring.

1 comment:

HLiza said...

Hi Fortimes,

I'm surprised that you put me as your link. Thanks. This movie sounds very inspiring. Once in a while I need to see this kind of movie. But TV is no longer in my daily schedule!